Some lessons learned from my studio jams during Jamuary 2023.
- Use a DAW template!
- Setup the mixer and audio interface to work generically enough with the outboard gear you want to use.
- Record stems and a mixer “main” if you can. If the main mix is good enough great, job done. If not you have stems to “remix” the main performance.
- Levels are easier to correct with less noise, in the digital domain.
- Don’t master to 0.0dB, leave some room, typically shoot for -1.1 to -0.3dB.
- Don’t over do it. Its not easy to churn out an audio track/video/social post every day, if you’re not enjoying it anymore or life gets in the way, thats ok!