I’ve begun to address the issues with my Jupiter 6 so I figured I’d start a new post specific to this repair attempt.
Factory Board Mods Replacing the caps Calibration Testing Also to note, the serial number of this synth is 322280, making it one of the later runs as far as the notes in the service manual suggest. It was previously sold or serviced by Pi Keyboards & Audio Inc in Cleveland Ohio (216)-741-2211.
I’ve finally gotten around to starting, and finishing, some long overdue repairs to my Roland Juno 6.
When I purchased the synth, it had a broken bender lever. This is a pretty common thing and replacements can be found fairly cheaply - I purchased mine from Syntaur. It also had a missing slider cap at the time, which I also found a replacement for from Syntaur.
After owning the synth for a while, I discovered that the PWM control was non-functional.
Notes for developing a gRPC based web application, for fun and learning.
Use connect-go for server/client transport.
supports gRPC, JSON REST and Connect no need for JSON REST translation proxy Use connect-grpcreflect-go for reflection.
Use OAuth2 with GitHub provider to start. Use React frontend.
Use GitHub actions for linting, building and publishing packages.
golangci-lint go build/test go sematic release GH packages release ( docker image to ghcr.io ) Deploy to AWS or Azure, scripts to use CLI to provision resources.
Jupiter 6 w/ Europa fails to boot, shows code F6.
Opened it up, reseated all connectors around main boards and problem went away.
Will revist at another time, if its working, its working.
Update October 23, 2022 The JP-6 was acting up again tonight. At this point I think I’ll contact BellToneSynthWorks in Philadelphia, PA to see if they can help. Before I do that I want to collect my notes on previous attempts to address the issues that have been plaguing this synth since I bought it.
Installation notes for replacement of old Debian docker VM.
Trying Alpine linux as a host, just to try something else. I started w/ the Alpine “Standard” install in sys mode.
Install and setup of Alpine was easy enough, just boot the ISO image and perform setup. It took a few minutes to get going. Once the OS was installed I followed the docs for installing docker and docker-compose.
Docker installed fine and worked as expected, docker-compose however did not work.
Issues after upgrading my 2020 Macbook Air (m1) to macOS Monterey:
Battery life went to shit, have to enable low power mode on battery. Bitwig and SoundCraft MTK 12 mixer no longer cooperate. Issue #1 I don’t have a whole lot of evidence to support but it did feel like the battery life on my brand new Macbook Air M1 had gotten a lot worse after the upgrade to Monterey (12.
Restoring VM’s after a host SSD gets cooked. When I went to power my homelab server back on, after sitting idle for 8 months while we moved house, it displayed some concerning ata device warnings on boot. After a reboot it failed an automatic run of fsck -a and recommended performing a manual run. The root device /dev/mapper/pve-root was corrupted and after performing several manual filesystem checks the system could no longer boot.
The TTSH (TwoThousandSixHundred) v4 is the latest incarnation of a DIY clone of the now infamous ARP 2600 synthesizer from the early 1970’s. The TTSH project was originally started by The Human Comparator in 2013, it has gone through many revisions and bug fixes to the main PCB since then. Originally launched it was sold as “The Kit” that came with the powder coated and screen printed front panel, main PCB and 3 VCO PCB’s for $620 USD.
I’ve setup a CloudFront distribution to serve some static assets and media files for this domain. This will make load times faster and allow me to serve content from AWS’s edge locations instead of from a single container instance of this “blog”.
Testing some random image embeds here:
I spent the better part of the day yesterday working on a Minecraft status checker package for the site. The Minecraft query protocol is somewhat tricky to implement for a novice like me but apparently it changes a bit when there are plugins involved on the server. I’ll update this post later with some of my findings.
For now, there is a neat, albeit somewhat basic status page here
Well, I tried to update this post but apparently my token went invalid while I was typing it and I lost it all when I hit “Save”.